The Financial Assistance Program is central to our mission here at the Y. When someone loses a job, when medical bills become overwhelming, or when other challenging situations occur, people need the support of the Y. Our program is tied to the Federal Poverty Guidelines and offers a range of assistance to fit the financial situation of our community.

Getting Started With The Y's Financial Assistance Program

Prospective members must complete the Greater Philadelphia YMCA’s Financial Assistance Application in order for us to determine the percent of financial assistance available. Financial Assistance awards are available for membership, programs, camp, and child care, though the percent awarded and program structure may differ in each area. For more information on needed documents, length of support, and how funding is provided, please visit our FAQs section.

Submitting an Application

Members and prospective members can fill out an application online by following these steps:

  1. Login to the Member Portal (new members will need to open an account)
  2. Click on the 'Financial Assistance' tab in the menu
  3. Click 'Start the Application Process'
  4. Review information and ensure you have the proper documentation
  5. Select your location
  6. Provide responses in the required fields
  7. Click 'Complete'

Open a Member Portal account (for new members only)

  1. Visit the application page on the Member Portal
  2. Click 'Get started'
  3. Enter your name and email address
  4. Create a password
  5. Select your email preferences
  6. Click 'OK'
  7. Verify your email address using the message sent by our system

Start My Application

Financial Assistance for Child Care & Camp

If you are applying for financial assistance from the Greater Philadelphia YMCA for Early Learning ChildCare (ELC), Before and After School Care (BASE), or Camp, you must first complete and submit the appropriate application for subsidized child care required for your state.

In Pennsylvania, the application is submitted to the Early Learning Resource Center (ELRC). Click here to complete the PA application.

In New Jersey, the application is submitted to the Child Care Resource and Referral Agency (CCR&R). Click here to complete the NJ application.

We will not be able to process your Child Care or Camp financial assistance request unless you provide a copy of an award or denial letter from the ELRC or CCR&R.

If receiving ELRC subsidy, you are eligible to have a reduced camp deposit. At the time of registration, a deposit amount of 10% of the weekly camp fee is required. Families are responsible for any difference between the amount the subsidy covers, and our cost of camp. If the subsidy exceeds the deposit paid, you will be credited any amount owed at the start of camp when your subsidy is confirmed.



Common Questions and Answers


When applying for membership, programs, camp, or childcare, members must provide the following documents when completing their application:

  • Most recent 1040 Federal Tax Return (with Schedule C for self-employed business income)
  • Two most recent pay stubs for all adults in the household.
  • Award, denial or waitlist letter from the ELRC or CCR&R (if applying for Child Care Assistance)

In addition, you will be required to provide the following documents, if applicable:

  • Social Security (SSI or SSDI) determination letter
  • Unemployment Compensation determination letter
  • Workers Compensation determination letter
  • Government Assistance (SNAP, Housing Assistance, etc.)
  • Third-party support documentation

To ensure an equitable process, we cannot waive the requirement to provide documentation of income. We will assist as much as possible with resources to help them find or access documentation given our commitment to the Financial Assistance program and the important access and support it provides for members.

To review the status of your application you will need to start by navigating to the Member Portal and follow these steps:

  1. Login to the portal with your username and password
  2. Click on the 'Financial Assistance' tab
  3. Check the status under the 'View Previous Applications' section

To keep current and provide equity we ask that all members resubmit financial assistance every two years for membership related requests and annually for camp and child care related requests.

Financial Assistance differs from discounts or promotions and is need-based. With information on income and family size, we can award assistance in a fair and consistent manner. We use these procedures to ensure that everyone receives equal consideration.

Personal financial information is handled in a confidential manner and will be seen and reviewed only by the YMCA’s professional staff. No information is shared with any other agency or organization.

The Financial Assistance Program is possible through the generosity of members and donors. As a non-profit, most funds come through the YMCA directly.

Questions about financial aid applications and renewals can be sent to

If you do not recall if you already have an account through the Member Portal, you can look up if you have one using these steps:

  1. Visit the account lookup page on the Member Portal
  2. Input your membership barcode
  3. Select a secondary verification method
  4. If your account is found click ‘Activate’
  5. Use the password resent link sent to your email to update your login information

Members coming from a different YMCA association may not have an account within our membership portal.