Membership Cancellation Notice Policy
- Members are required to provide 30-day notice for Membership Cancellations.
- Membership dues scheduled within that 30-day notice period will be drafted at the full rate.
Membership Hold Notice Policy
- Memberships can be placed on Hold for up to 2 months for any reason.
- Members are required to provide 15 days' notice for Membership Holds.
Policy on Refunds or Extensions/Credits
- Membership: No credits or refunds will be issued for unused membership. No credits or refunds will be issued for building closure due to inclement weather, maintenance, city ordinance, events, or other closures. 15 days’ notice required to make changes to membership. 30 days’ notice required to cancel membership. Credits will be applied to the oldest outstanding balance. Credits are non-refundable, unless approved by an Executive Leader.
- Pool Passes/Memberships:
- Ambler Pool Pass: No credits or refunds will be issued after May 15th, 2021. No credits or refunds will be issued for unused pass(es)/membership(s). No credits or refunds will be issued for pool closure due to inclement weather, maintenance, city ordinance, events, or other closures. Credits are non-refundable, unless approved by an Executive Leader.
- Pool Passes/Memberships:
- Child Care: Deposits and fees are non-refundable. No credits or refunds for unused/unattended child care days (please reference the Child Care Handbook for specifics on poor weather or other emergency closures). 30 days written notice is required when terminating from a monthly program, and two weeks written notice when withdrawing from a weekly program. Deposits will be applied to any tuitions due during the period leading up to the last day of service. If the required notice was not given, the deposit will be forfeited. If you receive third party funding, you are required to have all of your co-pays paid to date to avoid being reported for delinquency, which may impact a transfer to another provider. Credits are non-refundable, unless approved by an Executive Leader.
- Camp: Deposits are non-refundable. No credits or refunds for unused/unattended Camp days. No credits or refunds will be issued for building closure due to inclement weather, maintenance, city ordinance, events, or other closures. 30 days’ notice is required to withdraw from the program. A change in registration can be made up to two (2) weeks before the program start date. Changes to a program of equal or higher value do not require approval. Changes to a program of lesser value or requiring a financial adjustment must be approved and follow YMCA credit/refund approval process. Any changes made after two (2) weeks before the program start date must be approved by the Camp Leader. Registration weeks and deposits are transferable until May 31. On and after June 1, no deposits will be interchangeable between camp sessions. Credits are non-refundable, unless approved by an Executive Leader.
- Programs: Program registration is non-refundable. Withdrawal before the first class will receive a full credit on your account. If you withdraw during the first week of programs, a credit will be pro-rated based upon participation; Credits will not be issued beyond the first week of programs unless a doctor’s note is provided. The account credit is good for use up to one year from the credit date. No credits or refunds will be issued for building closure due to inclement weather, maintenance, city ordinance, events, or other closures. Credits are non-refundable, unless approved by an Executive Leader.
Diversity & Nondiscrimination Policy
It is the policy of the YMCA to make membership available to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or financial circumstances without discrimination.
Branch Reciprocity Policy
Members are expected to purchase a membership at the branch they intend to use most of the time. Members may use all branches within the Greater Philadelphia YMCA. We reserve the right to transfer a membership if a member violates the policy. The Y will notify the member 30 days in advance of the transfer. Please visit your home YMCA for more information about this policy.
Nationwide Membership enables active, full facility YMCA members to visit any participating YMCA in the United States through membership at their home YMCA. We encourage members to verify with the branch they intend to visit if they qualify for access through nationwide membership.
Program-only participants are not eligible for nationwide membership. Special memberships (group homes, Silver Sneakers, Silver & Fit, other agencies, etc.) are not eligible. Nationwide member visitors must use their home Y at least 50% of the time. We offer this because we want to help you reach your health and wellness goals wherever you live, work or travel. This is an essential part of our mission to strengthen communities. To find a Y in another location, go to ymca.org/find-your-y.
Guest Pass Policy and Procedures
Free guest passes are provided to Members, 18 or older, as a benefit of your membership and to encourage new members to join the Y. For the safety of our guests and members, all guests must be accompanied by a current Adult Member. Adult members may bring up to 2 guests per Y visit. Each guest may only visit three times in a calendar year and must present a valid photo ID to participate in any activity at the Y. Guests are not permitted at outdoor pool facilities.
KidZone (previously Child Watch) is a value-added member benefit and is included with the cost of full privilege adult, senior or family memberships. It is not available for youth, teen, or program members. This service is offered on-site with convenient drop-in hours that vary by location. Hours are subject to change around holidays. Advanced registration is not required and KidZone is operated on a first-come, first-served basis. This service is intended to support parents while using the facility. Parents must remain at the YMCA and are limited to two hours per day. Parents will be contacted to pick up their children if there are any problems.
Member Code of Conduct
For the enjoyment of all, our members agree to abide by the rules and regulations of the YMCA. The protection of members and guests who are utilizing the facility is of paramount concern to the Greater Philadelphia YMCA.
We reserve the right to deny access of membership to any person whose behavior is determined to be in conflict with the welfare and safety of other members and/or staff. This includes a person who is a registered sexual offender; has pleaded guilty to or been convicted of any crime involving sexual abuse; or a crime against persons such as a child, spousal or parental abuse. It will also include any offense related to the sale or transportation of illegal, habit-forming, or dangerous drugs; is presently clearly under the influence of intoxicating beverages or behavior-modifying drugs.
This code of conduct does not permit language or any action that can hurt or frighten another person or that falls below a generally accepted standard of conduct. This includes inappropriate attire, angry or vulgar language, physical contact with another person in an angry or threatening way, any demonstration of sexual contact or activity, harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language or any other menacing behavior, theft or behavior resulting in the destruction of property. Parents are held responsible for the behavior of their children.
The YMCA is a weapon and smoke (vaping) free environment. This includes any type of devices or objects, which could be used or perceived as weapons.
Membership Rights & Responsibilities
Greater Philadelphia YMCA reserves the right to revoke or deny membership privileges if a member:
- abuses or misuses any YMCA owned or operated equipment or facilities,
- engages in conduct which is abusive, illegal, disruptive, or poses a threat to others,
- engages in activities contrary to the mission and purpose of the YMCA,
- is identified as a registered sex offender through our sex offender screening, or
- is consistently threatening or abusive to staff or other members.
The Executive Director has the authority to deny or suspend membership privileges at any time. For permanent revocation of membership privileges, the Group Vice President and SVP Membership will be consulted.
Sex Offender Screening
The YMCA conducts regular sex offender screenings on all members, participants, and guests. If a sex offender match occurs, the YMCA reserves the right to cancel membership, end program participation, and remove visitation access.
Policy on Facility Usage – Supervision Requirements
The YMCA has established a minimum age for youth to use the facilities. Members under the age of 12 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian, 18 years or older at all times.
Policy on Facility Usage – Group Exercise Classes
Members ages 10-14 may participate in all classes upon completion of a wellness consultation. Members ages 10-11 may then attend a class with a parent or guardian that is 18 years or older and also has a full privilege membership. Class participation by members ages 10-14 is subject to instructor discretion for member safety. Members must also meet height requirements to attend cycling classes for safety purposes.
Policy on Facility Usage – Wellness Center Usage
To ensure the physical and mental well-being of all participants, the minimum age required to work out in the Wellness Center is 10 years old. Participants, ages 10 and 11 may use the Wellness Center under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian who has a full facility membership. Participants must be a minimum of age 12 or in 7th Grade to work out alone. Youth and teens should also check in with a Wellness Coach prior to beginning their workout.
The Y offers free Wellness Consultations with trained Wellness Coaches to help participants of all ages learn safe, effective workout techniques. Participants ages 10-14 must attend a consultation prior to using the Wellness Center. Wellness Consultations are strongly recommended for all members.
Policy on Transfer of Membership
- Transfer between Individuals: Membership and the use of particular privileges shall not be transferred from one person to another.
- Members from another Association: The Membership Director or designee will contact the other YMCA or Association (via telephone) to verify the current status of the inquiring potential member. The entire joining fee will be waived, provided that the membership has not lapsed more than 60 days. The full amount is waived, regardless of the amount paid at the former YMCA.
- Transfers to another Association: Members who move to another geographic area outside of the Greater Philadelphia YMCA will need to contact that YMCA for its specific policy on membership transfers.
Policy on Upgrading/Downgrading Full Privilege Membership
No enrollment fees are charged when a member is upgrading from one full privilege membership category to another. No refund of enrollment fees is provided when a member is downgrading from any full privilege membership to a membership that charges a lesser joining fee.
Service Animal Policy
Service animals are accepted at GPY branches. Per the US Department of Justice and the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) dated 9/15/2010 and their updated guidance specific to service animals dated 3/15/2011. Support animals do not fall under the ADA and their admittance is not mandated at the GPY.
A service animal must be under the control of its handler. Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless the individual’s disability prevents using these devices or these devices interfere with the service animal's safe, effective performance of tasks. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.
It is our goal to follow mandated protocols so our Y can remain open to serve you. We cannot do this without your help. We appreciate your adherence to our protocols as well as your care and consideration for your fellow Y members. To view our full Mask Policy, please visit our Mask Policy Page.